Warm Up: Current Event (15 min)
Look up a current event that has to deal with air pollution. The current event has to explain the cause of the pollution, it's effects and what is being done to reduce the amount of pollution.
Warm Up Form Link
Notes: Air Pollution (25 min)
Using your textbook (pages 619 to 625) and/or online sources look up the following terms and concepts. You can either do this using a Google Doc or your science notebook.
- Find the following definitions: smog, acid rain, carbon monoxide, carbon dioxide and particulate matter.
- What are the major sources of smog?
- How does smog form?
- What are some of the effects smog has on the environment?
- What does the atmosphere above a city look like with and without smog?
- What causes acid rain?
- What are some of the effects of acid rain?
- How are CFC levels and the ozone layer connected?
- What are five ways to reduce air pollution?
Skills Check: Air Pollution (15 min)
Using the notes you just took complete the form below.
Skills Check: Air Pollution Form Link
Work Time (Remaining Class Time)
Use any remaining time in class to get caught up on your work from last week. This is also a good time to ask questions relating to your notes to make sure you have everything you need for next week's quiz.
For tonight's homework you'll need to conduct some research on water movement for tomorrow's lab. Competing this homework will allow you do build a better functioning device for the engineering challenge you'll be completing. Make sure to watch the video and read the articles linked in the homework form.
Homework 3.9 Link