For today's debate you'll be assessed by two groups. First, your peers will fill out a scorecard during the debate based on your performance This will be used to decide who the winner of the debate is. When the score cards are collected and tabulated the highest and lowest score for each group will be removed. This is to counter any bias in the scoring. The completion of the scorecards will count as a five point project grade. Second, Mr. Korchnak will be assessing your use of facts, preparation and professionalism. This will be based on the scoring rubric handed out in lesson Space Debate Part 1. Below is an explanation of the debate format. Each debate should last 10 to 15 minutes.
- Coin toss to determine who will read their opening statement first.
- Round 1: Each group will have up to three minutes to read their opening statement.
- One minute break. This time will allow the audience to finish scoring the opening statement and for the groups to prepare for Round 2.
- Round 2: This is the question round. The group who read the opening statement first will ask the first question and alternate until each group has asked two questions.
- One minute break. Audience will finish scoring the question round and the groups can use this time to make adjustments to their closing statements.
- Round 3: The group who read their opening statement last will read their closing statement. Then the other group will read theirs.
- Two minute break. This time will be used to allow the scores finish their scorecards and for the next group to setup for the next question.
Debate Time (40 min)
Two to three groups will be randomly selected and debated today. The remainder will debate next class.
No homework tonight.